The value of your data changes over time
Flex your data at the pace of change
In the modern world of big data, unstructured data is the most abundant. It’s so prolific because unstructured data could be anything: media, imaging, audio, sensor data, text data, and much more. Unstructured simply means that it is datasets that aren’t stored in a structured database format. Unstructured data has an internal structure, but it’s not predefined through data models. It might be human generated, or machine generated in a textual or a non-textual format.
Unstructured data can be thought of as data that’s not actively managed in a transactional system; for example, data that doesn’t live in a relational database management system (RDBMS). Structured data can be thought of as records (or transactions) in a database environment; for example, rows in a table of a SQL database.
There is no preference as to whether data is structured or unstructured. Both have tools that allow users to access information. Unstructured data just happens to be in greater abundance than structured data is.
Examples of unstructured data are:
- Rich media. Media and entertainment data, surveillance data, geo-spatial data, audio, weather data
- Document collections. Invoices, records, emails, productivity applications
- Internet of Things (IoT). Sensor data, ticker data
- Analytics. Machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI)
Set Your Sights on Data Management at Extreme Scale.
Object storage built for a hybrid, multi-cloud experience
NetApp® StorageGRID® is a software-defined, object-based storage solution that supports industry-standard object APIs like the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) API. It allows you to build a single name space across up to 16 data centers worldwide, with customizable service levels for metadata-driven object lifecycle policies. The integrated lifecycle management policies optimize where your data lives throughout its lifecycle
StorageGRID optimizes your data durability and availability across multiple geographies. It enables hybrid cloud workflows—whether your data is on premises or in a public cloud—to fit your business demands with access to Amazon Simple Notification Service (SNS), Microsoft Azure Blob, Amazon Glacier, Elasticsearch, and similar services.
With StorageGRID you can;
- Access data through a global namespace that easily scales to tens of terabytes to hundreds of petabytes, in alignment with your data storage needs.
- Optimize data availability, performance, geo-distribution, retention, protection, and storage cost with metadata-driven policies that can adjust dynamically as the business value of your data evolves.
- Enable hybrid multi-clouds by using CloudMirror and the StorageGRID’s interface to Amazon’s Simple Notification Service (SNS) and to Elasticsearch, leveraging the public cloud to process, transform, and analyze objects and metadata while your securing data in an on-premises object store.
- Integrate with NetApp Data Fabric with FabricPool to harness the multiprotocol and data management capabilities of NetApp ONTAP® on the NetApp AFF platform while taking advantage of the extensive scale of StorageGRID for the data that doesn’t require the extreme performance of AFF.
- Meet SEC 17a-4(f) & CFTC 1.31(c)-(d) regulatory obligations and facilitate compliance through tamper-proof data retention without proprietary APIs and vendor lock-in.
- Deploy and centrally manage StorageGRID nodes as virtual machines, optimized performance- and capacity-based hardware-based appliances, bare-metal services with Docker containers, or as a combination of all the above.